Saturday, December 12, 2020

Scrap Happy Saturday on Saturday!

It has been busy around here finishing up a few quilt tops and, oh my, it feels so good!  I am so thankful I decided to get on board with the Rainbow Scrap Challenge as it has helped me focus on getting a couple of projects done and as is typical with me, start new projects, lol.  Thank you Angela for hosting a fantastic challenge!  I look forward to next year.

Here are a couple of tops I actually finished up. I am going to try to quilt a few of them myself but that is a frustrating project for another day.

Carolina Chain, a Bonnie Hunter pattern, that I started several years ago and had wanted to set on point like Bonnie did but in the end the extra effort just wasn't worth it for me.  I like the pattern but really don't love it. 


Next up, bunnies that have been waiting for months for some sort of border.  One on and then one off, a couple of times, lol, before just adding the cabbage border. Not sure if this top was really a RSC, but it did get done this year and it is scrappy.  I need to send it out to get quilted but I think I will wait until after the holidays as there is no hurry.  My original plan was to donate the lap-sized quilt to Buckeye House Rabbit Rescue and perhaps when it is finally finished I will.


I didn't know what I was going to work on when the RSC month was dark green as it isn't one of my favorite colors; however, I ended up re-working a little quilt that I purchased at our guilds' Second-Time Around Quilt shop.  I deconstructed the wallhanging and added bright green trees and a brighter border.  I am really happy with the results of the "new" wallhanging.


Finally, last year one of my RSC projects was to work on Cake Walk, a Lori Holt pattern.  I really loved working on this quilt and looked forward to each month and the selected colors.  It was probably one of the most fun quilts I have ever done as I used quite a few ribbons from my travels to Paris and London to embellish the cakes.  It really isn't practical to use as a bed quilt, but I love it none the less. I took this photo before I added the final whtie border to the quilt.


I think that is all that I finished up in November and December.  I still have lots of projects to work on for next year so I am pretty sure I will be joining the RSC challenge once again.  

Naturally I have been trying my hand at baking.  It is such fun to try recipes that I never dreamed I could do.  Today I tried my hand at Gateau Breton!  Last year I was lucky enough to visit Rennes, France and not only did I love the area I wanted to try some recipes of their baked goods.  Luckily I happened to record an episode of America's Test Kitchen on PBS that had a recipe that looked easy peasy.  I searched online to find he recipe and found it on the Hallmark Channel, go figure!  It is a recipe from Elle Simone and it is delicious!



Yeah, I tried to be festive with my photo which doesn't really show how nicely it turned out.  It tasted like a cross between shortbread and a cake with yummy apricot filling.  Anyway, it is delicious and I will probably make it again.

That is about it from me for this year.  I will be happy to see 2020 in my rear-view mirror and I am sure I have tons of company.  Speaking of company, I am joining Angela and lots of other folks who are finishing up their projects at SOScrappy and the Rainbow Scrap Challenge. I hope to see everyone in 2021!

Cheers!

Debi




5 comments:

  1. What great quilts you have made this year! I have to say I just love that tree top in greens. So cheery. The cakes are so fun (and fits in with all the British Baking shows this year!) and your cake looks very yummy as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to see what you're working on! I've been making Bonnie Hunter's Appalachian Autumn. Love the colors and even enjoyed the string piecing. It's been a long time since I've spent this much time in the sewing room and now I'm wondering why it took me so long to get back in there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have been busy, stitching and baking too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did a great job of making the RSC work for you this year. Love, love, LOVE how the "decorations" really make that Cake quilt!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!