Saturday, April 24, 2021

Last Scrap Happy Saturday of April

Wow, this month has flown by!  That can be a good thing or a bad thing, lol!  I did get a little sewing done.  I also helped a friend clean out her neighbors' house in preparation of selling it.  When helping downsize it makes you realize how much "stuff" you have and I ended up taking a couple of  bags to the Volunteers of America which made me feel good but I need to do more.

I made a few blue kitties with a UK theme in memory of Prince Philip and his passing.  They are not really light or bright but they are blue!

I also decided it was time to work on a hankie quilt as I have quite a few hankies that were my mom's and grandmother's.  My mom will turn 90 this year and she gave me the hankies years ago and I think it is finally time.  I soaked the hankies in Retro Clean to get out any spots and now am appliqueing them to a white background.  I oversized the squares so I can trim them down once they are all sewn.  The largest hankie is around 17" square so all of my backgrounds are made to accommodate that particular hankie.  Time will tell if it all works out and these are blue!

In February I made a hankie memory quilt for a friend of mine.  She had her mom and grandmother's hankies for years and hadn't done anything with them and I volunteered to do something with them and in the end she was thrilled.


I had a lot of fun working on her hankie quilt even with all of the pressure to do something nice.

In January I decided to buy a Bernina Q-16 and it was delivered in February so my friend's memory quilt was my first quilt on the Bernina.  I should add that I LOVE my Q-16!  My previous machine was a Bailey Home Quilter and I used it but didn't love it so all in all it was such a good decision to upgrade.  Here is my almost 19 year old cat, Flash, who must love my Bernina too as she never "bothered" me when I quilted on the Bailey but she adores the Bernina.  We are definitely Bernina girls!


I also decided to start yet another quilt--crazy!  Since travel is out of the question right now and I don't see myself traveling for quite some time--thanks pandemic and I assume costs will be prohibitive once we can travel.  I decided to make a word travel memory quilt.  I don't know where it will go but I have lots of ideas--most of them are from traveling in France or French pastries.


A couple of weeks ago I decided to try to make eclairs and they actually turned out!  The worst part is I had to eat almost all of them as my hubby isn't fond of them.  So sad, lol!  Now I wonder why my scale seems to be weighing a bit heavy.  I know, the photo isn't really "pretty" or instagram worthy but I think I was in a hurry to indulge!


Finally, I made a Union Jack quilt block--I love Union Jacks and am always on the look out for the perfect block.  It was a bit square for me so I added some words to make a wall hanging.  Are you shocked at the words I chose, lol!


I think that is all for now. Thank goodness for Angela and all the folks who link up for Scrap Happy Saturday as it is such fun to see what everyone is up to and it is also so nice to meet so many wonderful quilters from around the world!  

Cheers, 

Debi



4 comments:

  1. Gorgeous kitty blocks with great fabrics and I love how your kitty is overseeing your work. Cats are just fantastic helpers aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your BLUE hankies for your new quilt are SEW pretty!! I have a collection to make a quilt someday. LOVE your Union Jack wall hanging! Good thinking to add a word to give it some extra length.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work! I always enjoy your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cats in any color look cute to me. I've made a couple of hanky quilts in my day and even wore out the hankies on one of them because the quilt was used so much. Yours look fabulous. And too bad you had to eat all the eclairs!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!