Friday, May 19, 2017

Marie Webster Mash-Up

Our quilt guild is having a show in July and of course there is a quilt show challenge.  The title of our show is "Quilts are Homemade" and we were required to put a house somewhere on our quilt.  We were also required to use homespun fabric somewhere in the quilt.  I wanted to do something that felt French-inspired and included cats!  

I searched for patterns and eventually decided on doing applique Iris' to represent the fleur-de-lis and landed on patterns by Marie Webster.  Her iris was perfect with a slight modification as I didn't want to spend forever appliqueing all those tiny bits and pieces.  My eyes and hands aren't what they used to be! 

My house is a free pattern from Le Rouvray and I modified it to suit my purposes too.  The homespun component is my roof--I might add that I really hate homespun so that alone was a challenge to include in any of my quilts.  The little window boxes were cut from fabric I purchased in Pairs last year.  I was thrilled to be able to use it on this project.  Of course there are cats in each window!

In the end I was quite pleased how the quilt turned out.  I did try a different approach to applique as I typically do a traditional needle turn technique where I baste all of the pieces beforehand but this time I tried back-basting and I really liked it!  I just may do a little more applique now.