Saturday, May 30, 2020

Scrap Happy Dark Green Saturday

Surprisingly, I worked on a dark green project this month that I didn't anticipate working on.  Last year I purchased a wall quilt at our July quilt show Second Time Around Shop where a lot of the items for sale were from a quilter who had passed away.   The quilt top was completely done and the quilter had started to hand quilt it. Our quilt show was almost over and no one was interested in the little quilt--even me!  At the last minute I decided to buy it and see where it took me.

I immediately took the quilt apart and set it aside to rework at a later date.  Fast forward until this month and I noticed the little trees sitting in a pile on a shelf.  Oh wow, perfect for dark green May.  Sadly, I didn't take a photo of the quilt before I started ripping but you can get an idea of what it looked like only with white sashing between the trees. 


You may notice only half a tree on the bottom corner and I took the block apart to use as my pattern.  For some reason I had a hard time wrapping my head around the size of the pieces I needed and having those little pieces helped plus I knew I wasn't going to add that particular tree back in as I didn't want a red and dark green tree.

Here is a block of how the quilter marked the pieces which is old school.  It is the way I learned to piece around 1979 too so I felt a kinship with her.


I made several additional brighter dark green trees and am going to add them to the mix. Merlin likes to help arrange the blocks.


No further progress has been made but I am pretty happy with the addition of the brighter trees.  I used the sashing to make my brighter trees and there isn't any left and I am not sure I will add any when I assemble the top.  Borders?  Not sure what I am going to do there either but I did find a nice fabric with pine cones and Cardinals that I thought might work but these blocks need to set around for a little while so I can ponder their future.

Angela has declared June pink month and I am in heaven as I adore pink.  In the meantime, I am linking up with everyone Scrap Happy Saturday.

Cheers!

Debi

4 comments:

  1. ow lovely that you are breathing new life into these older quilt locks, and making it your own. Our cats are always so interested to help us in our stitching , aren't they. After all, if we put it on the floor, we must want them to wander over and inspect it, they reason.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like a nice rescue of an older project! I really like the lighter green trees you added in, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to add new life to that old quilt top!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the idea that you adopted this quilt and are making it your own. I'm sure the originator would be thrilled! It was quite the undertaking and I think you're doing a fine job. Love it too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!